Matthew 14:6

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Matthew 24:6 KJV

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Where is that period, Mister?

Edits on I Am an American are back. I thought the editor that was hired for the project did an excellent job. She gave a lot of good suggestions as well as the line editing.

For one thing, so many authors I know have forsaken the hyphenated words. Example: English speaking instead of English-speaking. It took me a long time to get used to that and leave the hyphens out. She put the hyphens in the words. I'm good with that. I almost feel vindicated.

One thing that puzzled me is that all my periods after the abbreviations Mr. and Mrs. disappeared. The editor did it as part of the style, but I have never seen (or noticed) written works edited that way before. Frankly, I'm not comfortable with it. I always write those abbreviations with periods afterwards.

Hmmm.....

This is an international collection. Maybe it isn't done that way in English-speaking nations outside of the United States. Time to check with the editor.

Addendum:

Heard back from the editor. Putting no periods after a title abbreviation is more of a UK thing and not a USA thing. She decided to make all the punctuation for the stories in the anthology uniform. Okay, I'll go with that -- for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment