Matthew 14:6

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Matthew 24:6 KJV

Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Recognition of My Hobusch Family Veterans


The following I posted on Facebook, but wished to add it to my blog.

My story "I Am an American" in PEARL HARBOR AND MORE is about the Nisei experience in California's Central Valley, but a secondary theme deals with the suspicion and heckling often received by those with German surnames. I bring this out in my character, Flo Kaufmann, whose paternal grandparents had come to the United States from Germany. 

This theme came from my own family's experiences. My Hobusch grandfather was the son of a young Prussian immigrant. I do not know what heckling he may have received due to his surname, but he did serve in
World War I. 

My father served in WWII. One of the few stories he told took place in England. An English shopkeeper, upon seeing his surname on his uniform, really tore into him, accusing him of being the enemy. They, along with my Hobusch uncle, served our nation during time of war. On this Memorial Day, I am proud to recognize their service.

I did not include this photo of my uncle on Facebook, but hope my Hobusch cousins will forgive me for including it here. 

All three of these Hobusch combat veterans are gone now, but they are not forgotten.

Here is the purchase link for 

No comments:

Post a Comment