Matthew 14:6

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Matthew 24:6 KJV

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Charts for I AM AN AMERICAN


Once I decided to write a WWII series, including following up with what happened to the people of the Yamato Colony, 
I did not get far into my writing of
 I Am an American
until I came to a point when I realized if I want to know where my characters will end up during the years of World War II,
I need to know where they are in December, 1941, the time frame of this story. 
First off, the families grew. 
In the timelines I developed in early August which you can see by CLICKING HERE
I originally had only three siblings each in the Osaki and Kaufmann families. I have since added Lily Osaki, a younger sister to Ellen who as I continued writing away ended up playing a key role in this story.


 Also, I learned more about the Japanese who came to Yamato Colony in the early days. Most came as young single men who ended up sending for a Japanese "picture bride" approximately ten years younger than they were once they got their farms up and running. I realized Hiro coming as a young boy would not have been typical.
I also added John Kaufmann. 


He plays a minor role in this story, but I have plans for John a few years down the road. 
 Then came the chapters where each family listens to the radio broadcast of President Roosevelt's declaration of war the day after 
Pearl Harbor was bombed.
That was the point I needed to know where each of the siblings were in life. I love charts, and came up with this for the Kaufmann siblings:


And here is the chart for the Osaki siblings:


As for the banner, one of the food crops grown in the Yamato Colony was peaches. Today, many of those orchards have been replanted with almond trees. However, I was able to find a few peach orchards within the boundaries of the old Yamato Colony. Unfortunately, the peaches have been harvested for the year, so all I have are leaves barely beginning to turn.



No comments:

Post a Comment